Monday, September 19, 2011

Yes, it comes back.

Ahhhh sex.  I was recently talking with a friend who had a young baby and we got on this subject. Oh how I don't miss the postpartum period for this reason!  The childbearing years are an interesting time for this. First, you go through the season of "trying" (well generally speaking).  If you ask my husband he will say its rather unfortunate that we got pregnant the with our first child the first month we tried, with our second child the second month we tried, and number 3 was a surprise.  It went from really really good to "I feel sick and bloated and have a headache" pretty quickly.  For some pregnant women, the extra sensitivity works in their favor.  For others, not so much.  I enjoyed sex when I was pregnant (well after the first trimester).  Sometimes I felt pretty sexy even with my big belly, but there were times I felt fat and unattractive.  And then you reach the point where you're so big no position works well or the pressure from the baby's head makes you detest thinking about anything else going on down there.  Then the baby comes and there's the famous 6 weeks.  Or some recommend more like 2 weeks.  Before we had kids, I had a close friend who asked her doctor to write her a prescription at her 6 week postpartum visit that said she needed to abstain from sex 6 more weeks.  I kid you not!  Sort of as a joke, but her husband believed her for a little while.  I thought, "Why the heck would anyone want to do that!"  Then I had my first baby.  After my baby tugged on my breasts all day and night long, the last thing I wanted was to be touched!  And also with nursing comes the absence of menses (this lasts different lengths of time for different women, mine lasted a year each time).  So everything is thin and dry and it just doesn't feel that great.  And, ovulation and sexual desire go hand in hand.  Even if you're bottle feeding and have your cycle back, you're feeling all the crazy hormones trying to adjust and lack of sleep and having a baby.  You can't devote as much time to your marriage as you used to.  I remember crying to a friend when my second baby was a few months old, "I would be okay if I never had sex again!  I have no desire and feel like it will never come back!"  Boy did that change at the end of that first year.  But only for a month and then I got pregnant again.  But, by the third time we understood.  My husband looked at me one night and said, "I know this is just a season, and after we get through it things will heat up again."  You see, we argued so much about it.  He thought I was frigid.  I felt like something was wrong with me.  He felt rejected and like I was no longer attracted to him. We were confused.  The best piece of advice I received regarding this was that a couple's sex life goes through seasons over the course of marriage, just as everything else does.  And don't get discouraged when you're in a dry one, the drought will end. Being married for 10 years, I've found that to be true.  I'm proud to say my youngest is 17 months old and I'm not pregnant!  Yahhooo!  The longest I've made it was to 15 months.  And times are good, really good for us.  So be encouraged.  Your body will come back (maybe not to where it was but you won't have a big basketball sticking out in front of you).  Your breasts will feel like objects for sexual pleasure and not merely functional again.  Your vagina will get back into shape.  And you will have desire!  Its hard to have a conversation with your spouse half the time, but the emotional connection is what feeds that physical intimacy.  So make time to talk and have quality time together.  And be a woman to the fullest, embrace your curves.  You're body was created to be beautiful and desirable, in any shape and size!  Put on some lingerie, light some candles, pour some wine, turn on some music, whatever you have to do to be in the mood, and enjoy that act that brought on your baby in the first place!  It will come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment