Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone

Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone... I was listening to the radio recently when this song came on.  Though I'd heard the song before, it immediately, it made me think of a time in my past.  Tiny babies are so precious and sweet, and innocent. Full of new life, untainted by the issues of the world.  Who would think that a mother could wind up depressed after having one?  I never thought it could happen, especially not to me. But it did.  Its hard to remember much from that dark period of my life, but I know it was a slow fall.  It took my husband and a dear friend to recognize it in me, and reach me in the middle of my "sleep."  Like the song, I was really "gone."  I was physically present at home, but not emotionally and mentally.  My process of healing was just that - a process.  I plan in my next few blog posts to tell my story.  There are those who have experienced depression, and there are those who know others experiencing it.  Its my hope that if you're going through this, you will find comfort and courage as I recall my experience and what I've learned. If you haven't experienced it but you know someone going through this, you will gain more insight in how to help.  And, if you're pregnant and concerned about this, there are some things that can help in preventing.  I was told it gets worse with subsequent pregnancies.  I had to be very proactive and intentional and it was a fight, but I'm happy to say I did not suffer from it after my third birth.  Its good for me to get it out too, I haven't talked about it much but now its time. Here goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment