Friday, January 27, 2012

The Bella Band Betrayal



We take ourselves way too seriously sometimes.  With life going one hundred miles an hour and feeling the weight of being responsible for little human beings.  That's why I really appreciate the moments in life like I'm about to share with you.  This embarrassing moment has been a well-kept secret for a couple years.  But today I woke up and decided to share it because its rainy outside, I need a good laugh, and I think its time to let it out. 

Okay, here goes.  Deep breath.....

You know those "bella bands?"  A 1st-2nd trimester woman's best friend.  Maybe you could wear it farther into your pregnancy, but I didn't discover them until my third time and came out of my jeans fast, even with the band. Those of you who don't know, its a stretchy band that allows you to wear your normal size jeans unzipped all the way down.  It holds your undone pants up.  You just pull your jeans up as high as you can around your hips, cover the unzipped part with the band, and pull your shirt down over.  Voila!  You still can wear your non-maternity jeans!

I felt amazing with this thing on.  I could wear my favorite "Lucky" brand jeans, feel comfortable from the stretchiness around my belly, and feel like I was looking good.  The bella band was my best friend.  Until the day it betrayed me....

I love to dance.  It makes me feel free and alive.  I am part of a church that has an awesome worship/music component and encourages and gives people the freedom to express themselves during worship through dancing, painting, etc.  So most Sundays, I dance during worship.  The only place where there is space enough is in the front.  So its been a good place for me to let go of caring what others think and just dance my heart out for Jesus.  I danced up until the week I went into labor with my last baby!  Dancing is really good for pregnant women.

Anyway, one particular Sunday, I was wearing my beloved bella band.  Felt like I wanted to dance, so I did.  I really went for it. Spinning, jumping, twirling...  And suddenly I felt a draft!  I realized that, not only was my shirt pulled up over my bulging belly, my bella band had slid up with it as well.  There, in front of the church, with my jeans zipped down all the way.  I don't remember what underwear I had on that day; I hope no one else does either.  So I ran to the bathroom and fixed my pants, and laughed by myself, at myself.  I was mortified but humored at the same time. I doubted anyone had seen me.  Most of the time people keep their eyes clothes anyway, right? I convinced myself that the likelihood of someone watching and seeing it happen had to be low.  I very discretely walked out of the bathroom and back to my seat, to find my husband: speechless with a terrified look on his face.  I didn't have to ask if he had seen it.  "I was about to walk up there and grab you!"  He was more uptight about it than I was!  We laughed about it all afternoon.

In the end, the few I asked didn't see it happen. And if anyone did, they didn't tell me.  I will forever remember that day as my most embarrassing pregnant moment, my most embarrassing moment in church, my most embarrassing moment in front of a large group of people, well, pretty much my most embarrassing moment yet.  And I learned a valuable lesson.  If you are going to dance, do not put your trust in a bella band.  It will let you down.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that is "most of the time people keep their eyes CLOSED, right?" Didn't mean to write "clothes" but it does make it even funnier!

    ReplyDelete